Description of Flash Animation
This is a Flash animation which shows how cells expand or contract depending on the saline concentration of a surrounding fluid. Blood cells contract when the solution is too salty (dehydration) and expand when there is not enough salt (salt depletion).
See the Biology MTO page for additional biology modules.
Original Course: BI SCI 4 - Human Body: Form and Function
Other Uses: This animation could be used in courses for biochemistry, materials sciences, health sciences and others.
This MTO item can be used royalty-free under the following conditions. See the MTO Item Open Source License for complete terms.
- The item is distributed AS IS with no implied or stated warranties.
- The item is restricted to educational or personal use only. Commercial use is not permitted.
- Copies may be distributed, but only for educational or personal use. This item cannot be sold for profit.
- You have permission to modify the item, but the derivative work must remain open source and cannot be marketed for profit.
- Copyright of the original item is held by Penn State.
- If this item is used, attribution to Penn State is requested.
The .swf Flash animation file and help documents are compressed in a .zip file. Once you download the file, double-click on the .zip file to extract the Files. Open the ReadMe.html file for instructions on posting the Flash file on a Web site or in a course management system.